How to fix an e-filed return that was rejected with error R0000-504-02: The dependent's Social Security number and last name on this return do not match what the IRS has in its records.
This rejection occurs when the dependent's Social Security number or last name is either incorrect or doesn't match what's on file with the IRS.
Try This First (Recommended)
Get your dependent's Social Security card and then follow these steps to make sure their information was entered correctly:
- Open your return in TurboTax, and then select My Info.
- Continue until you reach the Your Personal Info Summary screen.
- Next to your dependent, select Edit.
- Proceed through the interview, making sure that the dependent's Name and Social Security number exactly matches the information on their Social Security card.
- If the information is wrong, correct it.
- Continue until you're back on the Your Children and Others You Support screen. Repeat process for any additional dependents.
If you made any corrections, click Done and then e-file the return again.
Otherwise, if you verified that the info you entered is correct, proceed to Other Options, below.
If you verified that the information you entered into TurboTax exactly matches your dependent's Social Security card, your next step is to call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify that the SSA's records are correct. (The IRS gets their information from the SSA.) Correct SSA records will prevent the same rejection next year.
In the meantime, you will need to file a paper return, as your return will continue to get rejected until the mismatch is fixed at the SSA, which can take at 4–6 weeks or even longer.