How to fix an e-filed return that was rejected with error R0000-507-01: Someone has already filed a return with the IRS this year using your dependent's Social Security number (SSN).

Most commonly, this rejection occurs when your dependent has already been claimed on another tax return.

It can also occur if the wrong dependent's Social Security number was entered, or if the same number was entered for 2 different dependents.

Try This First (Recommended)

Get each dependent's Social Security card and then follow these steps to make sure their information was entered correctly:

  1. Open your return in TurboTax, and then select My Info.
  2. From the Personal info summary screen, next to your dependent's name, select Edit.
  3. Proceed through the interview, making sure that the dependent's Name and Social Security Number exactly match the information on their Social Security card.
    • If the information is wrong, correct it.
  4. Continue until you're on the Your Children and Others You Support screen. Select Edit next to the names of any other dependents whose information you want to check.

If you made any corrections, select Done and then e-file again.

Otherwise, if you verified that the information you entered is correct, proceed to Other Options, below.

Other Options

If you verified that you entered each dependent's information in TurboTax correctly, you can be certain that another taxpayer, such as an ex-spouse, has already claimed the dependent on their return.

Here's what to do next:

  1. First, make sure you can claim the dependent and that the other person (if known) can't.
    • If you discover you can't claim this dependent, delete the dependent from your return and then re-file.
  2. If you believe you can rightfully claim the dependent, file a paper return, as you will not be able to e-file it.
    • The IRS will process your return as usual, and issue your tax refund if you are getting one.
    • In a few months, the IRS will contact you as well as the other taxpayer to determine which taxpayer is legally entitled to claim the dependent.
    • The taxpayer who falsely claimed the dependent will be required to repay any additional taxes, plus penalties and interest, that were attributed to the false claim. The false claimant will also need to file an amended return.