How to fix an e-filed return that was rejected with one of these errors:

  • FW2G-502: Form W-2G, Payer EIN must match data in the IRS e-File database.
  • FW2-502: The employer identification number (EIN) on the W-2 that was entered into the program does not match what the IRS has in its records.
  • F1099R-502-02: Form 1099-R, Payer Federal ID Number must match data in the e-File database.
  • F2439-502-01: Form 2439, Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains, Identification number of RIC or REIT must match data in the IRS e-File database.

These rejections occur when the Employer Identification Number (EIN) or employer/payer name doesn't match IRS records.

For example, if you enter SUNY instead of State University of New York, your return will be rejected with one of these codes because "SUNY" doesn't match the first four letters on file with the IRS ("STAT").

Try This First (Recommended)

Collect all W-2, W-2G, 1099-G, and 1099-R forms you received, and then follow these steps to make sure your information was entered correctly:

  1. Open your return in TurboTax.
  2. Select Federal, then Wages & Income, and select I'll choose what I work on.
  3. On the Your 2019 Income Summary screen, revisit the appropriate income topic(s) to double-check the Employer/Payer Identification Numbers and Employer/Payer names for each of your W-2, W-2G, 1099-G, and 1099-R forms.
    • Make sure the information exactly matches the information on the form(s).
    • If the information is wrong, correct it and then re-file.
    • Otherwise, if you verified that the information you entered is correct, proceed to Other Options, below.

Other Options

If you were unable to resolve your issue with the recommended solution above, here are your options:

  • Contact your employer or organization to make sure the EIN on the tax form they sent you is correct.
    • If your form is incorrect, enter the correct EIN in TurboTax and re-file your return.
    • You should also ask for a corrected form for your records.
  • Or, print and mail your return. The IRS won't let you e-file a return if the EIN doesn't match what's in their database.