How to fix an e-filed return that was rejected with one of these error codes:
- F1040-524-01: The date of birth you entered on your tax return does not match what the IRS has in its files for you.
- F1040-525-02: You did not enter either a Date of Birth or Date of Death for the Primary Taxpayer.
This rejection occurs when the date of birth or Social Security number for the primary taxpayer (the first person listed on the return) is either incorrect or doesn't match what's on file with the IRS.
Try This First (Recommended)
Get your Social Security card and then follow these steps to make sure your information was entered correctly:
- Open your return in TurboTax, and then select My Info.
- On the Personal Info Summary screen, next to the first listed taxpayer, select Edit.
- Make sure the first taxpayer's Social Security Number exactly matches the information on the Social Security card, and that the Birth Date is correct and entered in MM/DD/YYYY format (not the European DD/MM/YYYY format).
- If the information is wrong, correct it.
- Select Continue at the bottom of the screen to return to the Personal Info Summary screen.
- Now go ahead and e-file your return again. Select File and follow the instructions.
Otherwise, if you verified that the information you entered previously is correct, proceed to Other Options, below.
If you verified that the information you entered into TurboTax exactly matches the Social Security card, and that the birth date is correct and has been entered in MM/DD/YYYY format, your next step is to call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify that the SSA's records are correct. (The IRS gets their information from the SSA.) Correct SSA records will prevent the same rejection next year.
In the meantime, your best option is to paper-file your return, as your return will continue to get rejected until the mismatch is fixed at the SSA, which can take at 4–6 weeks or even longer.