E-file rejection error R0000-503-02
How to fix an e-filed return that was rejected with error R0000-503-02: The secondary taxpayer's Social Security number and last name do not match what the IRS has in its records. The IRS receives this information from the Social Security Administration (SSA).
This rejection occurs when the last name or Social Security number for the secondary taxpayer (the second person listed as a spouse on a joint return) is either incorrect or doesn't match what's on file with the IRS.Try This First (Recommended)
Get the secondary taxpayer's Social Security card and then follow these steps to make sure the information was entered correctly:
- Open your return in TurboTax, and then select My Info.
- From the Personal info summary screen, locate your spouse's name and select Edit in that section.
- On the Your spouse's personal info screen, make sure that both the Name and Social Security number exactly match the information on the Social Security card. If the information is wrong, correct it.
- Continue until you're back on the Personal info summary screen.
- If you made any corrections, click Continue at the bottom, and then e-file again.
- Otherwise, if you verified that the information you entered is correct, proceed to Other Options below.
If you verified that the information you entered into TurboTax exactly matches the spouse's Social Security card, your next step is to call the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 1-800-772-1213 to verify that the SSA's records are correct. (The IRS gets their information from the SSA.) Correct SSA records will prevent the same rejection next year.
In the meantime, your best option is to file a paper return, as your return will continue to get rejected until the mismatch is fixed at the SSA, which can take 4–6 weeks or even longer.