You can't cancel a pending return. After you select Transmit my returns now, your e-file goes to pending status, where it will stay until it has either been accepted or rejected by the government.

Think of pending as "in transit" or "in limbo" – just like you can't cancel a letter that you sent yesterday, you can't cancel a return that's on its way to the government.

To make corrections or changes to your pending return, wait until your return has either been accepted or rejected.

  • If your return gets accepted, you'll need to amend.
  • If your return gets rejected, you'll be able to make your changes before you re-submit your return.